With newer versions, WordPress can update itself and it’s plug-ins almost automatically – yet another reason to upgrade your current version!
For those with older versions, we expect that the upgrade would take between one and two hours. These are the steps involved:
- Backup of your current database that contains all of your web sites content (articles), security settings, etc. for safe keeping
- Backup of your current WordPress software code installation, theme and plug-ins (see above)
- Installation of new WordPress version and upgraded plug-ins and/or theme where necessary
- Update your database (occurs automatically during install)
- Review your upgraded web site configuration and settings to make sure that all is well – we usually do not encounter any issues, if there are, they are easily resolved.
There would be a short time period that your web site would be off-line, normally less than half an hour. We try to do this during off-peak periods.